Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Beckett Pottery Fonta Flora

After 11 months of making the weekly 4 hour round trip from Winston-Salem to Lake James to oversee and personally construct, I am moved in and organized enough to be working in my studio!  There was about a 6 week lag in production while I moved and set things up.  I've been playing catch up for about another 6 weeks and can finally take a small breath to post some pictures here.  I have a full album of progress on my personal FaceBook page https://www.facebook.com/robin.beckett.9/media_set?set=a.1578851625466738.1073741952.100000257460774&type=3 if you would like to see the whole process.  Here are some of the final product:

I'm in a MUCH smaller space than my WS full basement, probably a third of the space if you consider I could sprawl out in my 1700sq ft space if needed.  I have 450 sq ft now and a 200 sq ft loft that is storage for packing material, tools, camping gear and my photo booth.  I seem to spend a lot of time going up and down a ladder accessing things I need.  I have had the luxury of an assistant for the past 12 yrs or so and wondering if there is even room to have a second person working on something different from what I'm doing.  The glazing table becomes the packing table and gets disassembled when I'm doing neither so I can walk through.  Things are very handy to access though and I'm finding I don't need duplicate items for the different spaces like I had in the big space.  I'm enjoying "cozy" in my house and studio.
My little kiln room

I decided I didn't need but 1 kiln about a year ago.... good thing considering there is room in the kiln room for the kiln and a ware cart!

I have a beautiful view of mountain woods while I throw.  Mountain laurel is in bloom now and hoping I will have some nice rhodo blooms soon.


This is my little hand building space.  I've taken up making street numbers.  Contact me if you want some.... pictures of these finished coming soon.

When I get fully organized these shelves will be dedicated to wholesale orders. Right now there are still lots of things I am looking for stashing spots.
 This is the studio entrance.  We've had a lot of rain lately and I put up the tarp for a party.... don't know how long I'll leave it up since it provides several benefits.  I guess I could look into something more attractive!!

No comments:

Post a Comment